Version 2.0 Released May 1, 2001
PRL Software's Preferences extension is a Satellite Forms plugin that provides PalmOS Preference database Read Write functions.
This extension is used to read and write data from the PalmOS Preference area. The preference area can be thought of in the same way as a Windows Registry. For programmers that are neither familiar with PalmOS Preferences nor Windows Registry - the Preference area is a place where information about your program can be stored semi-permanently.
This extension is manufactured by PRL Software and is marketed by PalmDataPro.com. NOTE: This extension is no longer supported by PRL Software, is not supported by PalmDataPro, and is available on an AS IS basis only.
- Data stored in the Preference area will remain even if:
- Program is exited
- Palm turned off
- Palm is Soft Reset (reset button)
- Palm is Hard Reset (Lost all power - BUT only if the palm has hotsynced since the data was placed into the preferences)
- The preference area is the perfect location to store:
- The current form when the program is exited.
- Table positions when program is exited.
- Global variables which retain their value if the program is exited.
- Security Information that you wish to keep on the palm remains even if the application is removed or the palm wiped.
- Program attributes such as version number
- Settings (serial communication, modem or barcode scanner) that will remain even if the application is deleted or a new version is installed.
- Simple security functions to stop people copying your program.
The extension includes a royalty-free per-developer runtime license, meaning you can distribute the extension PRC files royalty-free with your app but you need to purchase a separate license for each SF developer (basically the same as the SF Standard Edition license).
Site License Available
You can purchase a site license for this product that enables its use by
an unlimited number of developers (persons) at a single office location.
Site licenses cost 2.5 times the single license fee. To purchase a site
license, simply enter a quantity of 2.5, click on the ADD button to add
it to your shopping basket, and then click View Basket to complete your
order. In the Comments section of your order, please enter the text
"Site License". Thank you!